SAFEGUARDS | Hardgoods NO. 037/19
Futons are Japanese style mattresses that can be rolled or folded and are often used on a frame that converts from a sofa to a bed. This type of mattress is subject to Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA) and Mattresses Regulations (SOR/2016-183).
A mattress is defined in the regulations as an item that is intended, promoted or normally used for the purpose of being slept on that contains resilient material enclosed within a ticking, but does not include:
- A mattress pad
- An infant multi-use pad
- Any part of an article of upholstered furniture that may also be used for the purpose of being slept on that is not a separate mattress
- A crib, cradle or bassinet mattress
- A one-of-a-kind prescription mattress
The guide covers the following topics:
- Legislation in Canada that applies to futons
- Summary of test methods for assessing futon flammability
- Impact of chemical flame retardants, materials and constructions on futon flammability
- Educating consumers on fire safety
For enquiries, please contact:
SGS Consumer and Retail
Technical Manager (Hardlines)
t: +1 (905) 364-3757
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.