SAFEGUARDS | Toys and Juvenile Products NO. 028/19
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) identified incidents involving infant bathers, for example drowning when used in adult tub with water or collapsing when transporting the occupant while in the infant bather.
The standard defines infant bather as “a stand-alone product intended to provide support for an occupant who cannot sit upright unassisted (approximately 0 to 6 months) in a reclining position during bathing by a caregiver but not intended to retain water.” Infant bather is usually used in an adult tub or in or next to sink.
The standard includes the following requirements:
- Hazardous Sharp Edges or Points
- Small Parts
- Lead in Paints
- Resistance to Collapse
- Scissoring, Shearing, and Pinching
- Protective Components
- Compliance to ASTM F2670 (if an infant bather can be converted to or has a mode that can be used on or in an infant bathtub)
- Compliance to applicable Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act requirements
- Compliance to ASTM F963 (for toys accessories included with the infant bather)
- Restraint System
- Structural Integrity
- Specific Requirements for Suction Cups
- Disassembly/Collapse While Lifting
- Fabric/Mesh Integrity
Marking, Labeling and Instructional Literature Requirement
- Infant bather and its packaging shall be marked or labeled according to the requirements specified in the standard
- Infant bather shall include instructional literature according to the requirements specified in the standard
Copy of the standard can be purchased at https://www.astm.org/Standards/F3343.htm
SGS has dedicated experts and services to assist you in the development of juvenile products and childcare articles. SGS offers physical/mechanical tests, chemical tests, packaging evaluation, inspections to ensure the compliance of your products in target markets. Discover more and watch our brand new video presenting SGS Juvenile Products services at www.sgs.com/juvenileproducts
For enquiries, please contact:
SGS Consumer and Retail
Technical Director (Hardlines)
t: +1 973 461 7953
SGS Consumer and Retail
Juvenile Products Lab Manager - CN - Shanghai
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.