- Where can you find warning translations?
- Is a key ring with a plush toy attached to it a toy?
- What is technical documentation?
Where can you find warning translations?
When you want to distribute toys to different countries within the European Union (EU) you must make sure that all warnings are translated into the destination country’s mandatory language(s).
To help, the standards organization committee responsible for the EN 71-series of standards has collated the accepted versions of the warnings in each of the different mandatory languages. These are published in CEN/TR 15071, which is available at your local standardization institute.
Is a key ring with a plush toy attached to it a toy?
Soft filled toys with simple features intended for holding and cuddling are considered as toys intended for children under 36 months. This also applies to soft filled toys attached to a key ring.
The example shown is classified as a toy intended for children under three years of age by a majority of the EU Commission Expert Group on Toy Safety.
For more information about EU guidance documents on toy safety refer to Europe’s Guidance on toy safety.
In addition, the ring to which keys are attached needs to comply with the shape and size requirements of clause 5.8 of EN 71-1 (template A).
What is technical documentation?
Technical documentation must contain all the product data to ensure that toys comply with the requirements of the European Toy Safety Directive, 2009/48/EC, including:
- Detailed description of the design (including a list of components and materials, safety data sheets), and a BOM (bill of materials)
- Safety/risk assessment documentation
- A description of the conformity assessment procedure followed (production control)
- An EC declaration of conformity
- Address of manufacturer and storage
- Test reports
- If applicable, a copy of the EC type examination certificate
Technical documentation must be kept for 10 years.
Previous Toy Updates:
To receive our toy updates, subscribe to SGS alerts (Toys) at www.sgs.com/subscribe
To learn more about how SGS can help you place safe and compliant toys on your target markets, please visit SGS Toys or contact:Stephanie Meyer-Pionchon
Global Marketing Manager
t: +33 4 42 61 64 46