SAFEGUARDS | Softlines NO. 014/19
MERCOSUR is a South American economic and political agreement among member states of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. The member countries have enforced a technical regulation by adopting MERCOSUR/GMC/RES. No. 62/18 on the labelling of textile products to facilitate free trade among members and to ensure a clear and correct identification of the composition of textile products. This Technical Regulation shall repeal Resolution GMC No. 33/07.
According to the new labelling regulation, textile products consisting of at least 80% textile fibers and/or textile filaments by weight are subject to the requirements. The following mandatory information must be indicated through labels, stamps, stickers or similar means that are permanent, indelible, legible and clearly visible. The listed information must be presented in the language of the country of consumption but may also be presented in other language(s) without prejudice.
- Name, business name or trademark registered in the country of consumption and tax identification of a national manufacturer or importer, or whoever imposes its exclusive trademark or company name, or who holds a license to use a trademark. (Note: “Fiscal identification” is the tax records of legal or physical persons, in accordance with the current legislation of the MERCOSUR.)
- Country of origin, preceded by the words: “Hecho en (Made in)” or “Fabricado en (Manufactured in)” or “Industria (Industry)” followed by the name of the country of origin. Designations of economic blocks or indications by country flags will not be accepted.
- Name of textile fibers or textile filaments with their content expressed as a percentage by mass. (The generic name of textile fibers, textile filaments and their accepted descriptions are listed in Appendix A of the Technical Regulation.)
- Care labelling instructions must be in accordance with the norm NM ISO 3758:2013 and may be indicated by symbols and/or texts. The following processes must be informed in the sequence described: washing, bleaching, drying, ironing and professional textile care.
- Size or dimensions, as applicable.
The Technical Regulation must be incorporated in the legal system of the MERCOSUR countries before 15th, June 2019. For full version of the Technical Regulation and the Appendix B for “Products that are not Subject to Compliance with Regulation”, please refer to the reference link.
 MERCOSUR/GMC/RES. No. 62/18 (in Spanish)
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Discover more at www.sgs.com/softlines.
For enquiries, please contact:
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
t: +1 973 461 7919
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.