SGS Laboratories in Malaysia Serving the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
In this lab focus article we explore SGS’s facilities for the inspection and testing of consumer goods in Malaysia.
Established in 1971, SGS now has three laboratories covering the whole of Malaysia – Prai in the north, Shah Alam in the center, Pasir Gudang in the south.
Accredited to MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012 for inspection services and MS ISO/IEC 17025 for laboratory services, SGS’s facilities cover of 19,000 sq. ft., employing more than 1,000 staff members to deliver a range of services to the consumer product sector.
Supporting the consumer goods and retail sector, we offer a comprehensive range of services, including:
- Inspection: intervention when goods are 80% completed, with 20% in loose form ready for packing
- Man-month service (MMS): daily inspections to check quality
- Loading supervision: checking containers prior to and during loading
- Auditing: conducting assessments on factories and warehouses against relevant audit requirements (EICC, social audit, TAPA, C-TPAT, etc.)
- Chemical: RoHS, SVHC & other restricted substances (PAH, VOC, heavy metals, etc.)
- Food contact materials: overall migration, extractive test, and other chemical analyses against market requirements
- SVHC evaluation analysis (SEA): applicable to all EE finished products and series products
- Consumer safety testing: battery tests for compliance to UN38.3, IEC 62133, UL 1642 & UL 2054
SEA and consumer safety testing for batteries have recently been added to SGS in Malaysia’s offering. SEA is conducted by experts using statistical evaluations based on the SGS SVHC testing database and SGS internal testing on high risk SVHC components. It is available for all EE finished products and series products, generating an evaluation analysis report with conclusion.
We cover a wide range of consumer products, including:
- Softlines: textiles and apparel, home textile, shoes, leather and latex products (gloves, condoms)
- Hardlines: furniture, hardware, toys and juvenile products, packaging materials
- Electrical & Electronics: luminaires, AV and automotive, household and industrial products, IT and telecommunications, medical devices
- Cosmetics, personal care and household: cosmetics products, household detergents, personal care products
For further information, contact SGS in Malaysia:
SGS (M) Sdn Bhd
Lot 3, Persiaran Jubli Perak,
Seksyen 22 Shah Alan,
40300 Selangor, Malaysia
t: +603-5481 8282