SAFEGUARDS | Consumer Products NO. 093/17
Turkey is proposing to adopt draft Regulations on food contact materials and articles. The proposed date of entry into force is Q3 of 2017.
In May 2017, the World Trade Organization (WTO) circulated two notifications from Turkey relating to two pieces of draft legislation on food contact materials and articles. These are:
- Food Codex Communiqué for rules on food contact active and intelligent materials and articles (WTO document number 17-2904 ). These specific rules complement requirements for food contact active and intelligent materials in the draft Food Codex Regulation under WTO document number 17-2905
- Food Codex Regulation for rules on food contact materials and articles, as well as procedures for the authorization of substances that are used in these materials and products (WTO document number 17-2905 )
Many of the provisions in the draft Food Codex Regulation contain similar language to those for Regulation (EC) 1935/2004, the so-called ‘EU Framework for food contact’. This draft Regulation  contains a number of important provisions, including:
- General safety
- Rules for food contact active and intelligent materials and articles
- Establishing 17 categories of food contact materials and articles (Table 1)
- Rules for food contact paper (Annex 3), metals and alloys (Annex 4), glass (Annex 5) and dyes/colorants in plastics (Annex 6)
- General rules for authorization of new substances
- Labeling. This may be in the form of words such as ‘for food contact’, indication of specific use such as ‘wine bottle’ or the glass and fork symbol (Annex 1)
- Declaration of conformity (DoC)
- Special provisions for the use of recycled plastics, including those for polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
According to the two WTO documents, the proposed date of entry into force for each piece of draft legislation is August 30, 2017.
Highlights of the 17 categories of food contact materials and articles from WTO document number 17-2905 are summarized in Table 1.
|WTO Document Number 17-2905, May 31, 2017
17 Categories of Food Contact Materials and Articles
|1||Active and intelligent materials and articles||10||Printing inks|
|6||Ion-exchange resins||15||Varnishes and coatings|
|7||Metals and alloys||16||Wax|
|8||Paper and board||17||Wood|
SGS technical experts have extensive knowledge and testing experience in materials and articles in contact with food. They work to ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. From overall migration test to expert advices on emerging regulations and compliance issues and documentation review, SGS is the partner to trust. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Hardlines Information and Innovation Manager
t: +852 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!© SGS Group Management SA - 2017 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.