The SGS testing laboratory in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, has installed new durability testing equipment to measure the strength and durability of seating (including backrests and armrests) according to the following EN standards:
- EN 12520: Furniture: strength, durability and safety requirements for domestic seating
- EN 581-2: Outdoor furniture: seating and tables for camping, domestic and contract use — Part 2: safety, strength and durability requirements for seating
- EN 1728: Domestic furniture — Seating: test methods for the determination of strength and durability
The new equipment is flexible enough to be used for a range of furniture products (e.g. sun loungers and dining chairs) and parts (e.g. seats and arms).
It tests the durability of backrests and armrests by simulating the effects on the furniture of normal daily use and misuse. The pressure applied, and the length of time it is applied, can be adjusted along with the cycle rate (from 10 to 30 rotations per minute) and the number of repetitions (rising to 120,000).
The SGS Ho Chi Minh City lab can now complete the durability tests very quickly, ensuring that manufacturers and exporters receive the information they need as soon as possible.
Therefore, the tests not only help to reduce the risks of non-compliance, they also reduce time to market.
Testing it out – worldwide
SGS has similar facilities worldwide performing physical, mechanical and chemical tests – as well as flammability tests – on furniture, materials and components. The labs cover many of the testing criteria established by the Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers’ Association (BIFMA) and ensure compliance with European, British, US and other international test requirements.
SGS Furniture labs can test across multiple product categories, including domestic furniture, storage and kitchen furniture, beds and mattresses, children’s furniture, upholstered furniture, outdoor and office furniture. The labs are in:
- Asia: China (4 labs), Hong Kong, Taiwan (Taipei), Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Europe: France (Aix en Provence), Germany (Taunusstein), UK (Bradford)
- Americas: USA (New Jersey, Fairfield)
For further information, please contact:
SGS Vietnam Ltd. – HCMC Laboratory
Lot III/21, 19/5A Street, Industrial Group III, Tan Binh IZ,
Tay Thanh Ward, Tan Phu Dist.,
t: +84 8 38160999
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 85,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,800 offices and laboratories around the world.