Mandatory GOEIC registration to import products into Egypt
SAFEGUARDS | Consumer ProductsNO. 037/16
In January 2016 the Ministry of Trade and Industry issued Decree 43/2016  amending Decree 92/2015 concerning the rules for the registration  of the factories and Trademarks Owners eligible to export their products to the Arab Republic of Egypt. All factories, trademark owners and distribution centres that want to export products listed below must register at GOEIC (General Organisation for Export and Import Control) . This decree will come into force two months after the date of its publication. This is expected in April 2016.
Documents required for the registration are:
Factories must submit a registration form together with the following documents:
- Certificate of the legal status and the license of the factory
- List of the manufacturers products and it’s trademarks
- The trademark of the product and any licensed trademarks by the trademark owner
- A certificate to prove that the factory has a quality control system, issued by a body recognized by the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC), or International Accreditation Forum ( IAF ) or from an Egyptian or Foreign Governmental body approved by the Ministry of Foreign Trade.
Licensees must submit a registration form together with the following documents:
- A certificate to prove registration of the trademark and a list of products manufactured under this trademark.
- A certificate from the trademark owner listing the distribution centers which are authorized to distribute products with this trademark.
- A certificate to prove that the trademark owner has a quality control system, issued by a body recognized by the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC), orInternational Accreditation Forum (IAF ) or from an Egyptian or Foreign Governmental body approved by the Ministry of Foreign Trade.
In case of doubt regarding the authenticity of the documents, inspection may be required to ensure the authenticity of the documents.
List of the products for which registration is required:
- Milk and milk products for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less
- Preserved and dried fruits for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less
- Oils and fats for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less
- Chocolate and food products containing cocoa for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less
- Sugar confectioneries
- Pastries and food preparations of cereals, bread and bakery products
- Fruit juices for retail sale in packages of 10 kg or less
- Natural, mineral and carbonated water
- Make-up cosmetics, oral and dental care products, deodorants, toiletries and perfume preparations
- Soap and surfactants intended for use as soap, for retail sale
- Floor coverings
- Bath tubs, sinks, wash basins, toilets, toilet seats and covers thereof;
- Toilet paper, cosmetic paper, diapers, and towels
- Tableware, cutlery and kitchenware
- Table glassware
- Reinforced iron
- Household appliances (stoves, fryers, air-conditioners, fans, washing machines, blenders, heaters)
- Home and office furniture
- Regular bicycles, motorbikes, motorized bikes
- Lighting devices for home use
- Textiles, clothing, furnishing, carpets, blankets and footwear except PPE and medical use clothes
Throughout our global network of laboratories, we are able to provide a range of services, including analytical testing and consultancy, for restricted substances in consumer products for Egypt and international markets. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Consumer and Retail Business Manager
t: +202 27263000
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!SGS Group Management SA – 2016 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.