SAFEGUARDS| Toys & Juvenile Products NO. 093/15
In May 2015, the ASTM International released a new safety specification for Infant Inclined Sleep Products to establish test methods, marking and labeling requirements for the safe use of products by both the occupant and caregiver.
This safety specification was developed in response to data collected by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and it is intended to minimize hazards associated with Infant Inclined Sleep Products. The new standard is designated ASTM F3118-15. 
ASTM defines an Infant Inclined Sleep Product as “a free standing product with an inclined sleep surface primarily intended and marketed to provide sleeping accommodations for an infant up to 5 months of age, or when the infant begins to roll over or pull up on sides”. This safety standard also covers infant and newborn inclined sleep product accessories and smaller products intended for newborns up to 3 months old, or when newborn begins to wiggle out of position or turn over in the product, or weighs more than 15 lb (6.8 kg).
The new safety standard addresses the prohibition and restriction of the following requirements:
- Lead in paints or surface coatings and substrates as specified under the CPSIA
- Hazardous sharp points or edges
- Small part choking hazards
- Wood components must be smooth and free from splinters
- Scissoring/shearing/pinching hazards
- Finger entrapment hazards associated with openings in any rigid materials
- Pinch hazards associated with exposed coil springs
- Hazardous protective components
- Warning label permanency requirements
- Requirements for toy components
The Infant Inclined Sleep Products must meet the following Performance Requirements as specified in ASTM F3118-15:
- Structural integrity
- Side to side surface containment
- Unintentional folding
- Side height
- Containment for the head/foot/side locations
- Finger entrapment for mesh/fabric sided products
- Minimum and maximum incline angle
The following information must be provided to meet the requirements for marking and labeling. Each product and its retail package shall be marked or labeled clearly, legibly and permanently as follows:
- The name of the manufacturer, distributor or seller, and place of business (city, state, and mailing address, including zip code) must be provided on the product and its packaging as applicable.
- The labeling must include a tracking code to be in compliance with CPSIA section 103 .
- Each item must be labeled with required warning statements and safety alert symbol
- Instructions for assembly, maintenance, cleaning and adjustment information must be included.
- The retail packaging is required to include a consumer registration form as defined in the CPSIA Section 104(d).
In addition, as a ‘children’s product’ and potentially a ‘childcare article’ as defined under the CPSIA, infant/toddler rockers are required to comply with the applicable requirements of the CPSIA even if not specifically included in the new ASTM F3118-15 standard.
SGS is committed to providing information about developments in the regulations for consumer products as a complimentary service. Throughout our global network of laboratories, we are able to provide a wide range of services including electromechanical testing and certification, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Technical Director (Hardlines)
t: +1 973-461-7953
© SGS Group Management SA – 2015– All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.