Owners, operators and users of industrial buildings and premises joined SGS experts for a seminar ‘Life and Damage Assessment of Civil Structure and Buildings: A Comprehensive Session To Understand If Your Structures Are (Still) Safe’ at SGS’s Head Office, Korangi Industrial Area, Karachi, Pakistan on April 9, 2015.
Hosted by SGS Pakistan Industrial Services, the seminar was attended by more than 50 clients and stakeholders from sectors including oil and gas, petrochemical, fertilizer, power sector, pharmaceutical, textile and construction.
The seminar was presented by Mr. Imran Arif – Project Engineer, Industrial Services, who gave an overview of building damage assessment in civil structures and buildings. Moreover, it focused on how the assessment of damage to buildings and structures is often complex because of the need to consider a wide variety of materials, types of damage and possible causes.
To help attendees develop their understanding of the issues involved and the services that can be applied, SGS’s presenter introduced a wide range of topics including:
- Determination of the cause(s) of damage, in relation to use and environmental conditions
- Assessment of damage effects:
- The extent of the damage
- The nature of damage (the damage mechanism)
- Evaluation of repair strategies and mitigation measures
- Recommendations/advice on the best repair method, based on the current and (intended) future use of the structure
- Monitoring the execution of the repair work to minimize the risk of future damage
- Inspection of damaged structures, supported by NDT as needed
- Laboratory testing of damaged and/or deteriorated materials
- Interpretation of damage phenomena and determination of causes
- Assessment of remaining service life, state of maintenance
- Repair and maintenance plans
- Assessment/auditing of repair work
- Impartial research and/or mediation
Damage Assessment for Buildings and Infrastructure
When it comes to building or infrastructure damage, identifying the root causes is the first step in your management strategy. SGS's damage assessment for buildings and infrastructure helps organizations to establish the cause(s) of damage and provides effective recommendations for repairs. As a world-leading provider of inspection, testing, certification and verification services, SGS offer unrivaled experience and specialist technicians to provide fully independent building damage assessment. Plus, SGS’s unique global network provides effective damage assessment for buildings and infrastructure wherever it is needed, all over the world.
For further information please contact:
Mrs. S. Maheen Ishaq Khaqan
Senior Executive Officer
-3/3, Sector 5, Korangi Industrial Area
t: +92 21 35121388 95 ext. 423
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.