Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 requires that a product information file (PIF) is kept for ten years for every cosmetic product placed onto the market within the European Union (EU). This article looks at the requirements that this regulation sets for the product information file and what it needs to include.
What should the PIF contain?
Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 states in Article 11 that the product information file should contain:
- A description of the cosmetic product that enables the product information file to be clearly attributed to the cosmetic product
- The cosmetic product safety report
- A description of the method of manufacturing and a statement on compliance with good manufacturing practice (GMP). GMP is covered in Article 8 of the Regulation
- Where justified by the nature or the effect of the cosmetic product, proof of the effect claimed for the cosmetic product
- Data on any animal testing performed by the manufacturer, his agents or suppliers, relating to the development or safety assessment of the cosmetic product or its ingredients, including any animal testing performed to meet the legislative or regulatory requirements of countries outside the EU
Table of contents for the article:
- Responsible person
- PIF overview
- PIF structure
- Access to information for the public
- Location and access to product information file
SGS has a network of highly skilled safety assessors experienced in conducting Cosmetic Safety Assessments against the new EU regulation. Our fully equipped, state of the art facilities (in Europe, Asia and the USA) offer full testing for compliance to the EU cosmetic regulation.
To find out more about how SGS can help you to comply with the EU cosmetic regulation 1223/2009, please visit SGS Cosmetics and Personal Care.
For further information, please contact:
Consumer Testing Services
Cosmetic Safety Assessor
SGS United Kingdom Limited
Units 41 & 43
The Listerhills Park of Science and Commerce
Campus Road, Bradford BD7 1 HR
t: +44 (0)1274 303080
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.