Cosmetics: EU Cosmetic Regulation (EC) N°1223/2009 applies from July 11, 2013
Cosmetic Products Regulation (EC) N°1223/2009 came into force in 2009, applies from July 11, 2013 and supersedes Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC.
With the new Cosmetics Regulation, product safety has been reinforced, taking into consideration the latest technological developments, including the possible use of nanomaterials.
CHANGES TO THE EU COSMETIC REGULATION
The new regulation 1223/2009 introduces new requirements such as:
- A redefinition of roles and responsibilities (Responsible Person)
- The notification of all new products via the European Electronic Portal – Cosmetic Product Notification Portal (CPNP)
- A more detailed cosmetics Safety Assessment – Cosmetic Product Safety Report (CPSR) – and a new and more comprehensive set of documents called Product Information File (PIF)
- New rules about the use in cosmetic products of substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction (CMR) substances
It also defines new requirements about Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), nanomaterials, packaging and claims.
For further information, you can download recent articles written by SGS experts:
- Cosmetic Packaging Migration: How to Interpret and Comply With EU Cosmetic Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009?
- The EU Cosmetic Regulation 1223/2009
HOW SGS CAN HELP YOU?
SGS offers a wide range of services to help you meet the new requirements of the Cosmetic Regulation 1223/2009, including PIF review, CPSR preparation, eNotification and GMP audits.
SGS GLOBAL COSMETICS SERVICES:
- Testing (physical, microbiology, stability, chemicals, packaging, performance)
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Ingredient and labeling review
- GMP Certification in accordance with ISO 22716
- Social responsibility audits and environmental sustainability audits
- Raw materials / product inspections
- Supply chain support and verification
- Sustainability services
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 75,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,500 offices and laboratories around the world.