Each year, the European Commission publishes statistics of Rapex notifications for the previous year.
Since 2004, the number of notifications has constantly risen; in 2005 by 81%, in 2006 by 24%, in 2007 by 53%, in 2008 by 16% and in 2009 by 7%. In 2010, 2244 products were reported through Rapex, which is a rise in number of notifications by 13% compared with 2009. 1,963 of these notifications concerned products presenting a serious risk to the health and safety of consumers.
- 47% of these notifications came from:
- Germany with 204 notifications (10%)
- Bulgaria with 192 notifications (10%)
- Hungary with 191 notifications (10%)
- Cyprus with 178 notifications (9%)
- Greece with 159 notifications (8%)
80% of products notified concern the below product categories:
- Clothing, textiles and fashion items with 625 notifications (32%)
- Toys with 488 notifications (25%)
- Motor vehicles with 175 notifications (9%)
- Electrical appliances with 158 notifications (8%)
- Childcare articles and children's equipment with 72 notifications (4%)
- Strangulation with 356 notifications (16%)
- Choking with 330 notifications (14%)
- Electric shock with 197 notifications (9%)
In a drive to ensure an increased circulation and awareness of this information and to promote product safety to clients, the SGS “Product Recalls” publication summarizes the notifications of unsafe consumer products in the EU, US and Australian markets. Product Recalls is included twice per month in the Safeguards emailing, which provides you with all regulatory updates for consumer goods.
SGS Consumer Testing Services offers a complete range of services including testing, product inspection, process assessment and technical assistance that work across markets and geographies.
Standards and Regulations Services (SRS) investigate product requirements in each individual country. Our global network of experts track local and international regulatory evolutions to provide you with the right information at the right time and provide a single, consolidated source that help you reduce risk, improve efficiency and assist with possible technical barriers.
Download RAPEX Annual Report 2010.
For more information on product safety, testing, standards and regulations on EU markets, please contact:
Global Marketing Coordinator
SGS Consumer Testing Services
t: +49 40 5701974 26
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With 64,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,250 offices and laboratories around the world.