Stakeholders at the meeting discussed five relevant issues regarding the China RoHS Key Catalogue:
- Is it recommended to place products into the catalogue as soon as possible?
- Should raw materials be put into the catalogue first?
- Should the exempted items be introduced into the catalogue?
- Should all products in the key catalogue be feasible on related technology, economy and substitution?
- Is the existing CCC certification system ready to add to the RoHS certification?
Shaping the Key Catalogue Huang Jianzhong, officer of the Ministry of Information Industry (MII), introduced the six step process covering the preparation of the key catalog:
- MII gathers proposals from industry associations, enterprises and other electronic information departments of local government
- MII submits the proposals to a committee of experts for further technical and economical evaluation. The committee will then independently draft a report
- After evaluation, this report will be published on the MII and other relevant websites.
- The report will also be submitted for consolidation to the office of controlling pollution in EIP, composed of seven government departments.
- The consolidated report will be submitted to WTO/TBT for notification, which takes about 90 days.
- The EIP will be put into the catalogue and enterprises will be provided with a transition period. The China RoHS working group, lead by MII, will hold a meeting in Guiyang to discuss the details of the Key Catalogue, between 15 and 18 April. As a member of the working group SGS will be represented by Dr. Sean Li, SGS Senior Technical Manager - Restricted Substances Testing Service for E&E products. The group will also discuss the factory audit procedure if China RoHS and CCC should be combined in future.
SGS in China RoHS Lab Cooperations
On 12 December 2007 SGS-CSTC and Zhuhai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau (Zhuhai CIQ) signed a cooperation agreement for setting up a RoHS laboratory in Zhuhai, Guangdong province. Zhuhai CIQ is the designated lab by the China Quality Certification Center (CQC) to be the authoritative China RoHS test laboratory in Guangdong province.
Through this cooperation, SGS and Zhuhai CIQ will leverage technology expertise, qualification and market resources on European and China RoHS testing to provide more comprehensive RoHS testing services for enterprises in the Guangdong region.
For more information on China RoHS contact:
Dr. Sean Li
t: +86 755 8311 4358 8568
The SGS Group is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With 50,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,000 offices and laboratories around the world.