According to this, GS Certification Bodies must implement the new requirement from April 1, 2008.The requirements also cover the existing SGS GS certifications. There have been at least two recalls in Germany concerning PAHs when the requirement was still voluntary. The PAH requirement shall ensure that all GS certified products fulfill the statutory requirements concerning PAH, e.g. PAHs have been found in the cable jacket, housing and handle of an angle grinder. PAHs were also found in the plastic finishing of a hammer's handle.
The ZLS Timeline for PAH and GS Mark For certificates issued from 1 April 2008 onwards (including ongoing projects which will be completed after this date), the new PAH requirement needs to be fulfilled.
Certificates issued before 1 April 2008 will remain valid for the time being. Within the framework of periodical control measures, the provision defined above is mandatory.
Testing Requirement Only the analysis reports of accredited laboratories following exactly specified test methods may be approved as basis for the GS certification. The PAH testing for the GS focuses mostly on:
- Materials in food contact or which may be put in the mouth as well as toys for children younger than three years
- Functional grip or actuation surfaces made of polymers (plastic and rubber) and materials with foreseeable skin contact even in case of a slight misuse of the product
- Materials with a distinctive color that might have been treated with preservation chemicals (naphthalene and methylnaphthalene) which lead to elevated concentrations of PAH. The following materials do not need to be included in the evaluation:
- Materials which are not accessible or only accessible with the help of tools
- Materials which through a risk analysis, are identified as not relevant for testing for PAH
- Help from SGS SGS helps you to control the risk. SGS has participated in the development of the PAH test method required for the GS mark and have thus established expertise throughout our worldwide network for PAH testing for the GS certification.
t: +358 9 6963 474
The SGS Group is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With 50,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,000 offices and laboratories around the world.