Combining toxicology and ecology, ecotoxicology looks at the effects of toxic chemicals in the environment and their effect on biological organisms and their populations, communities, and terrestrial, freshwater or marine ecosystems. Contaminant analysis is used to identify the most efficient and effective actions in preventing and remediating any detrimental effects from toxic pollution.
Otherwise known as metabolic fingerprinting, metabolomics allows us to observe early and/or sensitive responses to contamination. It is used in ecotoxicology to connect contaminant exposure of sentinel species to early detection of harm. Organizations like US EPA and OECD are using metabolomics in conjunction with transcriptomics to elucidate adverse outcome pathways that link contaminant insult to adverse outcomes in species of concern.
SGS ecotoxicological testing services
As the world leader in ultra-trace analysis of small-molecule entities, we have been measuring xenobiotics and their metabolites for almost four decades using FI or LC-MS and high-resolution GC-MS techniques. We offer analysis for a wide variety of endogenous biochemicals that may be impacted by contaminants of emerging concern, and ultra low-level analyses of the contaminants themselves.
In combination with environmental analysis, our metabolomics suite can measure and monitor insult-response relationships in any environment for many organisms including mammals and aquatic species. Providing researchers with insights into the biology physiological state of biological systems, with biochemical profiling and quantitative metabolite concentration data.
- Measuring services for a diverse set of contaminants at low levels in limited sample conditions
- Expertise in passive sampling contaminant analysis to support chronic exposure and uptake studies, especially for multiple contaminant groups from the same sample
- Hundreds of endogenous metabolites across several biochemical classes, including lipids (including polar, neutral, and ether lipid classes), fatty acids, bile acids, amino acids, acylcarnitines, hexoses, biogenic amines and polyamines
- Contaminant exposure and metabolomic response from the same laboratory
- Services to support experimental design for dosing studies and other approaches
- Custom method development services for difficult-to-measure or novel contaminants or metabolites. We specialize in the analysis of diverse matrices and can offer customized sample preparation to meet your needs
- Statistical analysis of the metabolomics data, utilizing a variety of parametric and non-parametric significance tests, principal components analysis, partial least squares regressions and more
- All methods validated in several species and in current use to identify potential biomarkers, establish insult-response relationships, and classify underlying pathological etiology
We offer the unique ability to combine any targets from our endogenous metabolite and environmental lists, in a vast array of matrices:
Endogenous Metabolite Targets
- Amino acids
- Biogenic amines
- Bile qcids
- Fatty acids
- Flame retardants
- Bisphenol A
- Dioxins and furans
- Fluorinated compounds
- Chlorinated compounds
- Pharmaceuticals and personal care products
- Naphthenic acids
- Phthalates and metabolites
- Emerging contaminants
- Passive samplers
Why choose SGS?
With over 6,000 environmental specialists covering over 100 countries, backed by an unrivaled network of accredited laboratories, we offer the world’s most comprehensive range of ecotoxicological testing services.
To learn more about ecotoxicological testing services, contact your local SGS office.