US Formaldehyde Emissions Certification
Testing and certification services to demonstrate compliance to US formaldehyde emissions requirements for composite wood products.
Meet the requirements of the Formaldehyde Standards from Composite Wood Products Act (the Act), which sets the standard for formaldehyde emissions from composite wood products that are manufactured, offered for sale, sold or supplied in the United States, including import.
Before being offered for sale, the Act requires composite wood panels to be tested and certified by a third-party certifier (TPC) that is recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), such as SGS.
Which composite wood products are affected by the Act?
The Act regulates Hardwood Plywood-Composite Core (HWPW-CC), Hardwood Plywood-Veneer Core (HWPW-VC), Particleboards (PBs), Medium Density Fiberboards (MDFs), thin-MDFs, and laminated products within the meaning of HWPW, as well as finished goods manufactured from these composite wood products. Examples of finished goods containing these materials include the following:
- Children’s wooden toys
- Composite wood panels
- Counter tops
- Furniture and related products
- Kitchen cabinets
- Mobile homes/recreational vehicles, molding in homes
- Picture frames
- Prefabricated wood buildings
- Travel trailers and campers
SGS formaldehyde emission certification services
With a network of EPA-recognized TPCs we provide a wide variety of international services to ensure you have peace of mind in complying with the Act. These include, but are not limited to:
- Consultancy on how the Act applies to your composite wood products
- Certification of panel manufacturers (mills), including gap assessments, setting up an in-house lab and quality control system, correlation testing and quality control personnel
- Factory inspection services
- Correct labeling procedures
- Documentation and record keeping
SGS EPA-recognized labs
We have several laboratories that are EPA-recognized Third-Party Certifiers (TPCs) offering global certification services under the Formaldehyde Emission Standards for Composite Wood Products Rule.
For more information contact SGS today.
CARB and ATCM
Check out the difference between US Federal and California requirements for formaldehyde emissions from composite wood products.