Targets for a “Better Planet”
With a focus on our Industries & Environment and Natural Resources Divisions, we commit to:
- Support our customers on their journey to sustainability by increasing the proportion of revenue generated by our Sustainability Solutions and measure its positive impact through our impact valuation methodology
Operations and Supply Chain
As validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), SGS is committed to reaching net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across the value chain by 2050.
In the path to reaching net-zero, near and long-term science-based targets have been approved with the SBTi:
SGS is committed to reducing absolute scope 1 and scope 2 GHG emissions 46.2% by 2030 from a 2019 base year. SGS is also committed to reducing absolute scope 3 GHG emissions 28% by 2030 from a 2019 base year.
SGS is committed to reducing absolute scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions 90% by 2050 from a 2019 base year.
To achieve these targets, in 2023 SGS commits to:
- Annually increase the number of energy efficiency measures in our 100 most energy intensive owned buildings
- Achieve a 10% reduction in total car fleet CO2 emissions against a 2019 baseline
- Ensure that 10% of our cars use low-carbon technologies
- Further adopt the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
In addition, we have been carbon neutral since 2014. That means that, so far, while reducing our absolute emissions year on year, we have compensated our residual emissions using avoidance offsets. In our sustainability journey, while prioritizing the reduction of absolute emissions, we aim to gradually transition from using avoidance offsets to exclusively removal offsets.