Ukraine has issued legislation to regulate food contact cellulose films. The provisions will become effective on November 19, 2025.
In January 2023, Ukraine’s Ministry of Health published Order No. 2374 of December 29, 2022 ‘On approval of the requirements for materials and articles made of regenerated cellulose film intended for contact with food’ (the Order).
The Order, as amended by Order No. 103 of January 19, 2023 (consolidated text of the Order as amended by Order No. 103 of January 19, 2023), implements European Directive 2007/42/EC on food contact regenerated cellulose films. It contains general provisions, general requirements and two tables of substances that are authorized for the manufacture of coated and uncoated regenerated cellulose films.
The amended Order contains two effective dates:
- February 7, 2023, for date of entry into force – the day of its publication in the Official Gazette of Ukraine
- November 19, 2025, for date of applicability – the day Law No. 2718-IX of November 3, 2022 ‘On materials and articles intended to come into contact with food’ becomes applicable (SafeGuardS 135/22)
It is important to note that Ukraine has issued several regulations on food contact materials and articles in recent months. These include:
- Order No. 1734 of September 24, 2022 (N-nitrosamines and N-nitrosatable substances from elastomer or rubber teats and soothers)
- Order No. 1735 of September 24, 2022 (prohibits triclosan in plastics)
- Law No. 2718-IX of November 3, 2022 (framework regulation, which contains provisions for recycled plastics, good manufacturing practice (GMP) and active and intelligent materials)
- Order No. 2199 of December 5, 2022 (vinyl chloride monomer (VCM) in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) materials)
- Order No. 2373 of December 20, 2022 (ceramics) (SafeGuardS 24/23)
SGS technical experts have extensive knowledge and testing experience in materials and articles in contact with food. They work to ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials, paving the way for compliance. From overall migration tests to expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review, SGS is the partner to trust. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Discover more on our website.
© SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. This publication or website is a property of SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. All contents including website designs, text, and graphics contained herein are owned by or licensed to SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. The information provided is for technical and general information purposes only and offers no legal advice. The information is no substitute for professional legal advice to ensure compliance with the applicable laws and regulations. All information is provided in good faith “as is”, and SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA makes no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, and does not warrant that the information will be error-free or meet any particular criteria of performance or quality.