The US Consumer Product Safety Improvement (CPSIA) Act 2008 introduced a raft of regulatory changes for manufacturers, importers, private labelers and distributors of consumer goods.
Certain consumer products on sale in the US must now be accompanied by a General Conformity Certificate certifying that tests have shown the products meet applicable safety rules. But there are more stringent rules for a variety of children’s products, including:
- Mandatory third-party testing and certification from an accredited laboratory
- Restrictions on lead use in substrate materials
- Lower levels of lead in paint and surface coatings
- Lower limits or bans for certain phthalates
- A mandatory toy safety standard (ASTM F963)
If these top-level regulations seem straightforward, they hide a deeper maze of regulatory complications. SGS’s CPSIA services aim to guide you through that maze, so that your business is clear about the standards it needs to meet and how to achieve them. The onus for creating General Conformity Certificates falls on individual importers and manufacturers and, with large financial penalties for those whose products are found to be non-compliant, our services have never been so vital. Similarly, it is imperative that the tests to certify products for children are carried out to the highest levels of accuracy and with the minimum of fuss so that you can get your products into the market as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Because CPSIA regulations are so wide reaching, we can create a tailored programme for every client, based on your needs and the safety rules you need to adhere to.
SGS’s services are two-fold:
- Consultancy programmes that produce a CPSIA strategy, supported by CPSIA testing services if products need to be tested
- Training packages to ensure all staff, contractors and suppliers in the supply chain are aware of best practice in CPSIA compliance
With an international reputation for excellence in helping clients meet regulatory standards, SGS should be your first choice if you want to sell your products on the US markets.