China issued an updated version of its national product standard GB/T 8878-2023 for knitted underwear. The revised standard will become effective on December 1, 2023
The Standardization Administration of China has issued national product standard GB/T 8878-2023 <Knitted underwear>. The new standard was included in China’s No. 2 announcement of approved national standards for 2023. It replaces the previous version, GB/T 8878-2014, and will come into effect on December 1, 2023.
This document is applicable to underwear that is mainly made of knitted fabrics. It is not applicable to knitted underwear intended for infants who are older than 36 months.
Main physical and chemical contents
The standard includes provisions relating to fiber content, formaldehyde content, pH value, decomposable carcinogenic aromatic amines, odor, bursting strength, pilling, dimensional change after laundering, colorfastness to laundering, colorfastness to water, colorfastness to rubbing, colorfastness to perspiration, washing solution staining and appearance after laundering. Knitted underwear intended to be worn by children from three years to 14 years must also comply with the rules of GB 31701.
Main technical changes
Compared with GB/T 8878-2014, GB/T 8878-2023 contains several amendments, including:
- Picture for the measuring position of the vest
- Natural color or bleached products do not test for colorfastness
- Requirements for defects in the use of bonding processes in grade classification in terms of appearance defects
- Labeling rule for over-range sizing systems
- Testing methods for pilling, washing solution staining and appearance after laundering
- Refinement requirements for pilling and washing solution staining
- Requirements for main parts and secondary parts of garments, skewness of plain color product, pilling, washing solution staining and appearance after laundering
- Partial requirements for the deviation tolerance of specified dimensions and tolerance of dimension difference for symmetric parts
- Refinement requirements for bursting strength and dimensional change after laundering
- Requirements for dimensional change after laundering, missing stitch on hemline and color difference (qualified grade)
- Test conditions for dimensional change after laundering and appearance quality
- ‘Sewing requirements’ removed
Details of the Technical Content
For more information, please refer to the China National Standard GB/T 8878-2023 <Knitted underwear>. or contact SGS directly.
SGS has an extensive network of over 40 softlines laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Visit our website, read our brochure or contact us to discover more. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested.
© SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. This publication or website is a property of SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. All contents including website designs, text, and graphics contained herein are owned by or licensed to SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. The information provided is for technical and general information purposes only and offers no legal advice. The information is no substitute for professional legal advice to ensure compliance with the applicable laws and regulations. All information is provided in good faith “as is”, and SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA makes no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, and does not warrant that the information will be error-free or meet any particular criteria of performance or quality.