China has banned the production, use, import and export of five POP chemicals. This became effective in June 2023.
In June 2023, China’s Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) and the other competent authorities announced the prohibition of five persistent organic pollutants (POP).
These five POP are:
- Decabromodiphenyl ether (DecaBDE, CAS no. 1163-19-5)
- Hexachlorobutadiene (HCB, CAS no. 87-68-3)
- Pentachlorophenol, (PCP), its salts and esters (CAS nos. 87-86-5, 131-52-2, 27735-64-4, 3772-94-9 and 1825-21-4)
- Polychlorinated naphthalenes (PCN), including dichloro-, trichloro-, tetrachloro-, pentachloro-, hexachloro-, heptachloro- and octachloronaphthalenes
- Short-chain chlorinated paraffins (SCCP): straight-chain chlorinated hydrocarbons with a chain length of C10-13, the chlorine content exceeds 48%, and its concentration in the mixture is ≥ 1% (CAS nos. include 85535-84-8, 68920-70-7, 71011-12-6, 85536-22-7, 85681-73-8 and 85681-73-8)
Highlights of the announcement are summarized in Table 1.
Announcement No. 20 of 2023
Announcement of Environmental Risk Management and Control Requirements for Five Types of Persistent Organic Pollutants including Polychlorinated Naphthalene, June 6, 2023
|1||DecaBDE*||Production, use, import and export prohibited||June 6, 2023 (date of announcement)|
|3||PCP, its salts and esters|
Exemption until December 31, 2023:
- Additives for plastic shells and components used in household heating appliances, irons, fans and immersion heaters, subject to less than 10% by weight of the parts
- Polyurethane (PU) foam for building insulations
- Textiles that require flame retardancy characteristics (excluding clothing and toys)
- Additives in the production of conveyor belts in the rubber industry
- Leather industry
- Lubricating oil additives
- Metal processing
- Outdoor decorative lamps
- Secondary plasticizer for flexible polyvinyl chloride (PVC), excluding toys and children’s products
- Spare parts for rubber conveyor belts in mining and forestry
- Waterproof and flame-retardant paints
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Contact us for more information or visit our website. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested.
© SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. This publication or website is a property of SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. All contents including website designs, text, and graphics contained herein are owned by or licensed to SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. The information provided is for technical and general information purposes only and offers no legal advice. The information is no substitute for professional legal advice to ensure compliance with the applicable laws and regulations. All information is provided in good faith “as is”, and SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA makes no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, and does not warrant that the information will be error-free or meet any particular criteria of performance or quality.