Improve ethical trading and corporate social responsibility (CSR) best practices with our Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit (SMETA) service.
Retailers, brands and customers are increasingly concerned that their goods are manufactured in a way that ensures fair treatment for all workers involved in their production supply chain. One way companies can get assurance about their suppliers’ performance in this regard is by requesting a third-party SMETA audit to report on processes and the situation.
To evaluate this, a set of requirements, known as the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI) Base Code, has been formed as a benchmark standard (based on ILO conventions). Sedex (the scheme owner) has enhanced this with additional elements. This is what you will be audited against, in addition to local legislation and specified customer requirements.
The main elements included in the audit are labor standards and health and safety. Additional pillars for environment and business integrity may be added.
The benefits of a SMETA include:
- SMETA audit reports reduce supply chain audit duplication by providing a widely accepted single format for social compliance audits
- SMETA audit reports are uploaded to the Sedex Advance platform, enabling members to effectively share and manage ethical supply chain information
- Reduce social responsibility and sustainability risks in supply chains
- Identify weak areas for companies to implement corrective actions that drive improvement and mitigate risk
- When it is impossible for auditors to visit a site, SGS is approved to deliver a Sedex Virtual Assessment (SVA), which allows an auditor to assess sites and working conditions through video conferencing. Following a thorough planning stage, auditors lead a virtual site tour and examine the site’s management systems and documentation. This service is subject to approval from the buying organization
Why choose SMETA services from SGS?
SGS is a Sedex Affiliate Audit Company (AAC). Sedex is home to one of the world’s leading collaborative platforms for buyers and suppliers to store, share and report on ethical and social audit information, quickly and easily. Being granted an AAC account indicates our commitment to correctly using SMETA, Sedex social audit methodology and conducting audits with quality and integrity.
Trusted SMETA services from a world leader
We are the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company.
We are a founding and full member of the leading industry association, the Association of Professional Social Compliance Auditors (APSCA). We have a global network of more than 800 experienced APSCA-enrolled auditors, in more than 80 countries, available to support your SMETA needs.
Our auditors have extended tenure, resulting in robust industry expertise and consistent service delivery. They also have in-depth knowledge of SMETA through active involvement in the Sedex Community Forum (previously Sedex Stakeholder Forum) and participation in working groups.
We have experience in conducting thousands of audits against third-party, industry and client-specific codes and social compliance programs.
Contact us for further information or to book your next SMETA audit or supplier audits.