A comprehensive range of standard and customized Pressure-Volume-Temperature (PVT) testing services to suit your needs.
Pressure-Volume-Temperature (PVT) studies for a complete range of reservoir types to support the engineering, design and optimization of reservoirs, processes and facilities.
Phase behavior analysis needs to be performed on representative fluid samples collected at the earliest opportunity, normally during drilling of the first exploration well, before the reservoir is put into full production.
We provide a comprehensive range of standard and customized PVT testing services – also called “phase behavior studies” – to suit your needs. PVT studies can be carried out on a complete range of reservoir fluid types, including gas condensates, black oils and near-critical fluids. Representative samples are examined at actual reservoir pressures and temperatures to determine phase behavior and compositional changes through the life of the reservoir as pressure declines.
Why choose PVT testing from SGS?
Our phase behavior studies enable you:
- Define the thermodynamic properties and chemical compositions of samples from subsurface oil and gas reservoirs
- Model the subsurface pressure depletion process over the producing life of the reservoir
- Identify the physical and chemical properties of reservoir fluids
- Classify the well for regulatory purposes
- Determine the recoverable reserves and establish the value of a field
- Improve production
- Map changes to the reservoir over time
- Determine appropriate enhanced recovery methods
- Define oil quality and its associated value
PVT studies should be performed in the early stages of discovery and development before significant pressure depletion of an oil or gas field. However, special forms of PVT studies are frequently performed later in the life of a reservoir as part of enhanced oil recovery programs to determine the best secondary and tertiary recovery methods for a particular reservoir. In addition, PVT studies are performed during multiple stages of a reservoir’s production to allow for measured phase behavior data that can then be subsequently used to confirm or retune reservoir models.
A Comprehensive Range of PVT Studies
Advanced studies provide important data for designing flow systems (flow assurance) and reservoir modelling for enhanced oil recovery (EOR) processes. These laboratory studies evaluate the potential for:
- Solids onset and deposition
- Pressure-temperature (P-T) solubility boundaries of organic and inorganic solids
- Chemical incompatibilities
- Compositional exchanges from gas injection/production
- Changes in fluid rheology (flow) behavior
Routine fluid studies normally cover the following laboratory tests:
- Sample quality assessment of downhole or surface samples
- Selection of the most suitable sample(s)
- Hydrocarbon and brine composition
- Mathematical and physical recombination
- Constant composition expansion (CCE)
- Differential liberation experiment (DLE)
- Constant volume depletion (CVD)
- Pressurized fluid viscosities
- Multi-stage separator test
- 0-Flash oil shrinkage/allocation test
- Flow assurance screening tests
- Detailed crude assays
Advanced fluid studies include the following laboratory tests:
- Solubility-Swelling studies
- Multi-Contact and revaporization studies
- Miscibility studies (by slim tube and vanishing IFT)
- Asphaltene solubility and onset studies
- Wax/paraffin phase behavior and flow studies
- Scale solubility P-T measurements and predictions
- Hydrate envelopes and chemical treatment studies
- Analysis of solids deposits and chemical treatment
PVT services are available within our fixed laboratory testing facilities with most testing services available through the FluidPro PAL™ mobile laboratory service. The SGS FluidPro PAL™ mobile laboratory is equipped with the exact same equipment found in our fixed laboratories.
We offer unrivaled experience in analyzing subsurface and recombined samples of all varieties including heavy oils (<10⁰ API), sour oils and gases, near-critical oils and gases, and ultra-lean retrograde condensate gases.
Our PVT laboratories are ISO certified and perform routine and advanced studies to the highest standards, using industry-recognized laboratory procedures and state-of-the-art, high-precision equipment. All data generated by our upstream laboratories is reviewed by data quality engineers using material balance methods combined with duplicate measurements to ensure the most accurate lab reports possible.
Rossmore Business Park, CH65 3EN,
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, United Kingdom