The European Chemicals Agency has launched a 45-day consultation for listing several chemicals as SVHCs. Comments will be accepted until October 17, 2022.
On September 2, 2022, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) launched a 45-day consultation period for listing nine chemicals as substances of very high concern (SVHC). If approved, the number of SVHC on the Candidate List will expand from 224 to 233.
According to ECHA, comments will be accepted until October 17, 2022.
Highlights of these nine SVHCs are summarized in Table 1.
European Chemicals Agency Substances of Very High Concern Identification, Consultation, September 2, 2022
|Substance [EC/CAS]||Classification||Potential Application|
|vPvB||Flame retardant (FR) in:|
• Polymers and textiles
• Electrical and electronic equipment (EEE)
• Adhesives for construction
|2,2',6,6'-tetrabromo-4,4'-isopropylide­nediphenol(Tetrabromobis­phenol A (TBBPA))|
|Carcinogenic 1B||FR in:|
• EEE, including epoxy-coated circuit boards, printed circuit boards and thermoplastic components
• Paper and textiles
|4,4'-sulphonyldiphenol (Bisphenol S (BPS))|
|• Toxic for reproduction 1B|
• Endocrine disrupting properties (probable serious effects to human health and environment)
|• Manufacture of polyethersulfone (PESU) and other polymers, tanning agents (for leather) and thermal paper|
|Barium diboron tetraoxide|
|Toxic for reproduction 1B||• Paint/coating formulations, paint removers and thinners|
• Coating of electrical wires
|Bis(2-ethylhexyl) tetrabromoph­thalate covering any of the individual isomers and/or combinations thereof (TBPH)||vPvB||• Products containing plastics or rubber|
• FR and plasticizer for polyvinyl chloride (PVC) in adhesives, carpet backings, coated fabrics, films and sheeting, and wall coverings, as well as wire and cable insulations
|Isobutyl 4-hydroxybenzoate (Isobutylparaben (IBP))|
|Endocrine disrupting properties (probable serious effects to human health)||Coating products, fillers, inks, modeling clay, plasters, putties and toners|
|Equivalent level of concern (probable serious effects to human health and the environment)||Formaldehyde-based resins for|
• Wood-based panels
• Melamine-impregnated paper and foils for surface-coating panels
• Use as crosslinking agent in coatings for foams and consumer goods such as table ware
• Manufacture of melamine derivatives to be used as flame retardants and fire protective coatings
|Perfluoroheptanoic acid and its salts (PFHpA and its salts)||• Toxic for reproduction 1B|
• Equivalent level of concern (probable serious effects to human health and environment)
|Stain, oil/grease or water repellant|
|Reaction mass of 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoro­propan-2-yl)|
morpholine and 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(heptafluoro­propyl)
|vPvB||Functional fluids (industrial sites and indoor)|
- PBT- Persistent, Bioaccumulative and Toxic
- vPvB- Very Persistent and very Bioaccumulative
SVHCs may be introduced into various consumer products due to the complexities of both the supply chain and production process. Identifying high risk products or materials, or employing a thorough test strategy, can be a smart way to ensure compliance and save costs. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us to find out more about how we can assist your business or visit our website.
For inquiries, please contact:
Dr. Hingwo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
© SGS Société Générale de surveillance SA- 2022 – All rights reserved – SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Société Générale de surveillance SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties’ contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.