Industrial Manufacturing Rheology and Slurry Flow
Rheology and slurry flow services from SGS use state-of-the-art rheological testing and procedures to characterize the flow of slurries in many industrial processes.
- +41 22 739 91 11
Rheology is the science of the flow of matter. The flow behavior of process slurries impacts energy and mass transfer-based unit operations. Processes that involve physical separation of liquids from solids and of solids from solids (i.e. slurries) are also rheology dependent.
Rheometallurgy applies these principals in a practical fashion to develop design criteria for metallurgical installations. The rheological properties of feed slurries:
- Are a decisive factor in the success or failure of projects
- Impact enormously in the economics of full-scale plants
- Help guide optimized equipment selection including pump sizing
Potential Applications of Rheology
- Defining optimum pumping conditions for slurry transport provides direct design criteria. Typical examples include:
- Pumping of concentrates, beneficiated products and tailings for disposal
- Pump sizing
- Paste characterization
- Slurry handling and screening
- Liquid-solid separation
- Generating high temperature rheology data to characterize the flow of hot slurries. Such data informs the design of heat exchangers, autoclaves, heated holding tanks etc.
- Process rheology and deposit mapping allow for the blending of ore, hence creating the pre-requisites for low cost slurry flow optimization throughout the plant
- Product characterization – effective rheology testing provides you with correct mass balances, accurate process design data and efficient process conditions in operation
- Reaction monitoring and control and traditional engineering design
We use state-of-the-art rheological testing equipment and procedures. We can test a wide variety of ore, waste and chemical process slurries. We offer:
- Rheology testing using standardized operating equipment
- Design and development of specialized testwork to support slurry transport, solid liquid separation and pump scale-up
- Data analysis by mathematical models
- Recommendation of plant operating procedures
- Preparation of design criteria for metallurgical processes and equipment sizing
Rheology Testing with SGS
A thorough rheological understanding of any slurry system is needed because flow properties influence the economics of any continuous operation involving mineral, metallurgical and chemical process slurries. Our experts:
- Generate rheology data early in a project screening of unit processes for the proper allocation of project resources to the most effective process
- Use test protocols established over many years of experience, allowing us to consistently achieve accurate test results
- Provide expert data interpretation, leading to the selection of accurate process rheology design criteria and to solutions to project challenges
- Have developed a comprehensive rheology database for minerals and metallurgical materials for benchmarking purposes
- Have the depth of expertise to integrate process, environmental, analytical and mineralogical testing with rheological studies on a project-specific or stand-alone basis to give you the data you need to make informed decisions
Contact SGS today to find out more about our rheology and slurry flow services.